One of my all time favorite blogs to read is Frugal Family Fun Blog. Recently Valerie reposted How to Make a Kite. It sounds super easy and really fun.
1. Gather colored copy paper, string, a piece of cardboard, florescent surveyor's flagging plastic tape, a hole punch, masking tape, and bamboo skewers.
2. Fold a sheet of copy paper in half "hamburger" style which would mean horizontally if you are holding the paper in portrait.
3. Place the spine of the fold on your right hand side. Fold a diagonal line 3 inches from the spine at the top and 1/2 inch from the spine at the bottom.
4. Leave kite closed and place a piece of masking tape along the opening created by the diagonal fold. This will tape the kite closed.
5. Open up the kite and place a skewer across the top (the more pointed end) from one side of kite to the other. Tape down well.
6. Cut a 6-10 foot streamer of florescent surveyor's flagging plastic tape. Tape it to the bottom of the kite.
7. Flip the kite over and punch a hole about 1/3 the way down from the top.
8. Use this hole to attach the string to the kite. Tie the other end of string to the cardboard winder.
Now, you are ready for some kite flying fun.